Why Do We Care?
Here is what the oysters can do for us.
- They form reefs and provide hiding places for all sorts of young animals. See the critters page.
- Many larger animals (rockfish, crabs, etc.) like to hang out around the reefs to feed on the smaller aniumals.
- The reefs can form natural breakwaters.
- They are good to eat and provide a livelihood for many watermen.
- They filter the water by eating the algae and by bundling the seidment particles up into larger chunks that
then sink to the bottom. Here is a dramatic picture of one clump of oysters cleaning the water. The oysters
were in the tank on the left for about 1/2 hour.